Updated: Dec 14, 2022
If you have a habit of setting resolutions at the beginning of the year and then abandoning them a few weeks later, now is your chance to try something different. Imagine how the course of your business life could change for the better if you followed through on your resolutions until you achieved your goals!
Change Your Thinking
It's very possible to overcome your habit of giving up on New Year's resolutions with a few basic tips. Above all else, avoid regarding your resolutions as something to aspire to and then forgetting them when they no longer seem pertinent or interesting. New Year's resolutions can be extremely enriching and self-improving if you find a way to maintain them throughout the year.
Here are some tips for keeping your resolutions:
1. Make a commitment. You must be willing to make a strong commitment to change in order for your resolutions to be successful. Believe that you can, and will, accomplish what you set out to do. If you give yourself unwavering support, then you'll bolster that belief and achieve what you seek.
Choose New Year's resolutions that you genuinely want to achieve. Make positive resolutions and focus on the positive aspects of achieving them.
Tell those that are supportive of your business about your resolutions. When the business partners and colleagues you trust, know what you're setting out to achieve, they can help hold you accountable.
Plan ahead rather than choosing your resolutions at the very last moment. The longer you spend planning and preparing for your resolution goals, the better the results will be.
2. Set realistic expectations. Continued motivation is the key to achieving your goals. If you set the bar too high, then you also set yourself up for failure, which can be profoundly de-motivating for you.
Aim realistically, Give yourself a challenge, but not so much of a challenge that you cant reach your goal.
If you plan on setting similar resolutions as last year, consider first and foremost why last year's resolutions failed. If your resolutions didn't work last time, then determine why in order to avoid a repeat performance.
3. Write down your goals. When you put your resolutions into writing, and into the universe...you make them real. Write your commitment down on paper. Put your goals where you can see them, in written form, so you won't forget what you're setting out to achieve in 2023.
4. Plan out your goals. Articulating what you intend to achieve this year is a big part of setting resolutions, but planning how to achieve them is a completely different story. Write down a plan for each resolution that you want to achieve rather than simply hoping for the best.
5. Give your goals flexibility. Not everything is going to work out exactly the way you planned, so be flexible in the goals that you set. Avoid allowing rigid resolutions to throw you off track if something doesn't go quite how you planned it. Try to predict what challenges you may face, and create a contingency plan for those challenges - just in case.
You can keep your New Year's resolutions if you do a little bit of planning and preparing ahead of time. Just like any goal setting process, the key is to be realistic about your goals and the challenges you may face in trying to achieve them. The more realistic and flexible you are, the more likely you'll be to achieve your goals.
Let Gibson Consulting & Solutions help you set goals and get your business in position for the new year. Schedule your personalized VIP Solutions Day today. Learn more